- Time 40 mins
- Makes 9
- Difficulty Easy
- 375c / 13 oz of all butter puff pasty ready rolled
- Spicy pepperoni
100g / 3½ oz Barber's 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar
- Basil leaves
40g / 1½ oz almonds
- Fresh baby plum tomatoes
- Asparagus tips
40g / 1½ oz butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 185C / Gas mark 4. On a flowered surface unroll the pastry and cut round discs approximately the same diameter as an espresso cup, place on a greased baking tray and brush with a beaten egg. Cook until golden.
- Cut the baby plum tomatoes in half, place on a baking tray and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until roasted. In the last 7 minutes add 10 slices of pepperoni.
- In a separate small baking dish place the almonds and butter and add to the oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pastry puffs and set aside, along with the tomatoes, pepperoni and almonds. Now grate the cheddar cheese on to baking parchment and spread out evenly. Place on a baking tray and under a hot grill; keep an eye on the cheese as it melts and turns a beautiful golden brown, then remove from the grill and allow to cool for 30 seconds. Cut the melted cheese into the same number of pieces as the puffs that you have made. Act quickly with the cheese crisps so it doesn't crack.
- Add the asparagus tips to a small frying pan and with hot butter and cook for 60 seconds.
- Now chop the roast almonds roughly and set aside.
- Assemble the various puffs with a cheese crisp, pepperoni and a roast tomato, the asparagus cheese crisp and finally the deconstructed pesto with a cheese crisp, basil leaf and chopped almonds.