- Time 40 mins
- Makes 4
- Difficulty Easy
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100 g / 3½ oz Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar, finely grated
- 100 g / 3 ½ oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop finely. Place the mushrooms, grill side up, in a baking dish. Pour in about 2 cm water. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft but not browned. Add the chopped mushroom stalks and cook for 2 more minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the cheese, breadcrumbs, tarragon and cooled onion and garlic mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the cheese and crumb stuffing between the four mushrooms, pressing down firmly. Drizzle over a little oil and cook the mushrooms in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and the stuffing is browned.
- Serve with salad leaves.