- Time 2 Hours
- Serves 6
- Difficulty Medium
For the meat sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500 g / 1 lb 2 oz minced steak
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200 ml / 7 fl oz red wine
- 400 g / 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the macaroni:
- 250 g / 9 oz macaroni
- 55 g / 2 oz butter
- 55 g / 2 oz plain flour
- 600 ml / 1 pt milk
- 175 g / 6 oz Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar, grated
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the meat sauce, heat the oil in a medium-sized pan, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft but not browned. Add the mince and stir until browned.
- Stir in the cinnamon, then add the red wine and allow it to bubble for a minute. Add the tomatoes and mint and season with salt and pepper. Simmer very gently for 40 minutes until thickened, but still moist.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni as directed on the pack, taking care not to overcook it. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. In a saucepan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk and cook for 5 minutes. Add half the cheese and the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Mix the macaroni into the cheese sauce then stir in the egg.
- Spread half the macaroni over the base of a 2L ovenproof dish. Cover with the meat sauce then the remaining macaroni. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 40 minutes until bubbling hot and golden brown.