- Time 1 hr 15 mins
- Makes 50
- Difficulty Easy
- 100g/3½oz Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar, grated
- 100g/3½oz butter, softened
- 100g/3½oz plain flour
- 1 medium egg yolk
- Caraway seeds, to garnish
- Place the cheese, butter and flour in a food processor and process until a dough is formed (alternatively, beat the ingredients together in a bowl).
- Shape the dough into a roll approximately 4cm/1½in in diameter. Wrap firmly in clingfilm and chill for 1 hour until firm. The dough can also be stored in the freezer and used as required.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Line several baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment. Slice very thin discs from the chilled dough and arrange on the lined baking sheets.
- Beat together the egg yolk and 1 tbsp cold water. Brush over the tops of the biscuits. Scatter the caraway seeds on top. Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes until pale golden and slightly puffed up. Cool on wire racks.