- Time 45 mins
- Difficulty Easy
- 5g/1oz butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 700ml/25fl oz vegetable stock
- 400ml/14fl oz milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 100g/3½oz Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar, grated
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently until soft.
- Add the cauliflower, potato, stock and milk. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes until the cauliflower and potato are soft.
- Blend the soup with a hand held blender, or in a liquidizer in batches, until smooth. Return to the pan and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in the mustard and cheese and serve with warmed crusty bread.