- Time 40 mins
- Serves 4
- Difficulty Easy
- 500 g / 1lb 2oz asparagus
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry, cut into 4
- 5 tbsp mascarpone or cream cheese
- 85 g / 3 oz Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar, grated
- Grated zest ½ lemon
- A little rapeseed oil, for drizzling
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Trim the asparagus so that each stalk measures about 15 cm. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the asparagus and simmer for 2 minutes. Drain and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place the pastry rectangles on one or two baking sheets. Mix together the mascarpone, grated cheese and lemon zest and spread over the pastry sheets, leaving a 2 cm border.
- Lay a quarter of the asparagus on each pastry base and drizzle with a little oil. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden. Serve with salad leaves.