- Time 40 mins
- Serves 6-8
- Difficulty Medium
- 200 g / 7 oz bag washed and ready to eat spinach
- 40 g / 1½ oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 40 g plain flour
- 300 ml / ½ pt milk
- 25 g / 1 oz white breadcrumbs
- 100 g / 3½ oz Barber’s 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs, separated
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Pierce the bag of spinach in several places and microwave on full power for 1 ½ - 2 minutes until wilted. Leave until cool enough to handle then squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Chop roughly.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth then cook gently, stirring, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Brush 6-8 ramekins or small ovenproof dishes with melted butter and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Stir most of the cheese and the mustard into the sauce and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the egg yolks, then add the spinach.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until forming soft peaks. Take care not to allow them to become dry. Spoon 2 tablespoons of egg white into the cheese mixture.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting tin and pour in boiling water to come half way up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden brown, but still with a little bit of ‘wobble’.
- Serve immediately, with green salad.