- Time 30 mins
- Serves 4
- Difficulty Medium
- For the cheesy croutons
- 70g / 2½oz bread, cut into cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Large pinch of salt
- 30g / 1oz Barber’s 1833 vintage reserve cheddar cheese, grated
- For the chowder
- 500ml / 18fl oz chicken stock
- 450g / 16oz potatoes, diced
- 1 small leek, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 340g / 12oz sweetcorn
- 1/2 head of broccoli, chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 40g / 1½oz plain flour
- Large pinch of salt and pepper
- 400ml / 14fl oz whole milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 150g / 5oz Barber’s 1833 vintage reserve cheddar cheese, grated
- strips of cooked chicken
For the cheesy croutons
- Preheat your oven to 180c.
- Put the bread cubes in a mixing bowl along with the olive oil, grated cheese and salt.
- Using your hands toss to evenly coat and spread out on a baking tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes (or until they are crisp and browned), shaking the tray occasionally. Set aside.
For the chowder
- In a large saucepan combine the chicken stock, diced potatoes, leek and onion. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat, cover and simmer. When the potatoes are tender, add the sweetcorn and broccoli. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter and then slowly add in the flour, salt and pepper. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Pour in the milk, stirring all the time until it has thickened. Stir in the soy sauce and grated cheese. Keep stirring until the cheese has melted. Finally, fold in the chicken and stir until it’s evenly coated in the sauce.
- Combine the chicken and cheese sauce with the chicken stock and vegetables. Stir to blend together.
- Serve immediately with the cheesy croutons sprinkled on top.
With thanks to From Plate to Pen