- Time 2.5 hours minutes
- Serves 8 or more
- 190g of grated Barber’s Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10g Butter
- 375g flour
- 7g yeast
- 225ml warm water
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion
- 100ml white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 2 x Cardamom pods crushed
- 1\2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1x Fresh bay leaf
- Finely grated nutmeg to taste
- Smoked paprika
- Plum tomatoes 1 tin.
- 500ml Single Cream
- Put the flour (375g) into a large bowl, then mix in the yeast (7g), salt (1 teaspoon) and sugar (1 tablespoon).
- Add the warm water (225ml) and the olive oil (2 tablespoons) and mix together until you have a soft, fairly wet dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 mins until smooth
- Allow the dough to rise for approximately 2 hours
- In a heavy based pan add the remaining cider (350ml) and bring to the boil.
- To the boiling cider add the spices, 1tsp of ginger, grated nutmeg, Cardamom and bay leaves. Allow the cider to reduce down by 50%
- Now add the cream and a nob of butter to the cider and bring back to the boil. Reduce the sauce further and then simmer, add half a teaspoon of cornflour to thicken the sauce to a suitable consistency for dipping
- Peel and roast 3 cloves of garlic and the small onion
- Add the onion and garlic to small pan after they have been roasted, pour in the white wine and reduce the alcohol off
- Add the smoked paprika and some thyme to taste
- Now add the tin of tomatoes and reduce down. Remove from heat and blend.
Garlic Cheddar Dip
- In another small pan add a knob of butter.
- Peel and crush the remaining garlic and add to the pan with the butter, cook until soft.
- Pour in 250ml of cream and bring to the boil
- Now stir a generous handful of grated 1833.
- Reduce sauce until it is a dipping consistency
Make the Calzones
- Take a cookie cutter, around the diameter of a tea cup. Spread the rounds with a teaspoon of the tomato sauce Put a generous pinch of grated 1833 and fold over to make small parcels Push the edges down with a fork and sprinkle with finely grated cheddar. Cook in a hot oven at 220 °C until golden Serve with the the warm cheesy garlic dipping sauce.