- Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
- 190g of grated Barber’s Cheddar
- 1x Artichoke
- 2 x Garlic cloves
- 100ml Single Cream
- 500ml Whole Milk
- 4tbsp Butter
- 2tbsp flour
- Fresh Thyme
- Over medium heat and then add the butter and let it melt and cook until it bubbles. Then sprinkle the flour in while whisking until it dissolves in the butter.
- Add the crushed garlic into the butter and flour mixture and continue to whisk the mixture until it starts to bubble. You will need to continually whisk the mixture throughout this step so that it cooks evenly which is key to creating a really smooth sauce
- Add the cheese and stir it in until it is melted and combined. Now add the single cream to thin the sauce down to allow easy dipping
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and place a steamer on the pan. Next take the Artichoke and trim the thorny tops of the leaves. Your green grocer may well have already done this for you. Now steam for 30 mins until the Artichoke opens up and the leaves are soft. Place in a bowl and tuck in.