- Time 65 minutes
- Makes 2
- Difficulty Easy
- 400g Onions
- 400g Shallots
- 1tr of good quality vegetable stock
- Olive oil
- 60g of 1833 Cheddar
- 1 loaf of Sourdough
- 2 sprigs of Thyme
- Heat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the pealed onions, shallots and garlic in a roasting tin with the oil, salt and pepper. Give it a good stir, then roast for 35 mins, stirring halfway through, until the onions are golden brown and caramelised, but not burnt.
- Remove the roast onions and shallots from the oven and place in a food blender. I like to deglaze the roasting dish with some of the vegetable stock and then tip in to the food blender. Once bended add the onions in to the pan with the stock and bring up to the simmer.
- Whilst the potage is heating place the sourdough croutons under the grill until the 1833 is golden and bubbling.
- Serve in rustic bowls with a sprinkle of Thyme.