- Time 1.5 hour preparation – 20 mins cooking minutes
- Serves 4 or more
Pizza Toast With Charred Onions
- 225g/ Strong white flour, plain will work for this recipe too, plus extra for dusting
- 120g 1833 Cheddar-Grated
- 1 x 7g/¾oz sachet of fast-action dried yeast
- 2 x tsp flake Dorset Sea salt
- 500ml milk
- 1x tsp sugar
- 25ml warm water
- Bunch of spring onions
- Fresh chives chopped
- 50g Butter
- This is a simple and exceptionally cheap dish for lunch or supper.
- First make the pizza dough or white bread dough. To make the dough, sift the flour into a large bowl and stir in the yeast. Mix the sea salt and milk with the water and stir into the flour. Mix with a large wooden spoon until the dough comes together and forms a soft, spongy ball.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it for five minutes until smooth. Place the dough into a bowl, cover with lightly oiled cling film and leave it for about an hour in a warm place or until it has doubled in size.Now take a skillet and add a knob o butter, take your cleaned spring onions and char in the pan for 5 min and then remove.
- Next the cheese sauce - Pour 500ml milk into a large saucepan and add 4 tbsp plain flour and 50g butter. Turn on the heat to medium and start to whisk the mixture. Whisk for another 2 mins while the sauce bubbles then stir in 100g grated vintage cheddar cheese and allow to thicken.
- Carefully roll the dough in to sliced bread sized pieces, turn up the edges now add a serving spoon of cheese sauce, the spring onions and a dusting of grated cheddar cheese. Place in a the oven at 190c for 20min or until golden and crispy. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve with a light salad.